Billing and Refund Options:
EasyPost has integrated with a number of different carriers who support different billing models. For example, EasyPost is a certified USPS "PC Postage Provider", which allows your USPS billing to go directly through EasyPost. For other carriers billing may go through the carrier directly, which means EasyPost is not collecting the cost for shipping. In cases where a carrier is billing a shipper directly, the shipper will need to contact the carrier for refund requests after they have been invoiced.
Alternatively, many carriers have a "Bill-On-Scan" system, which means they don't bill the shipper until the package is actually delivered to the carrier facility and has been scanned as received. In these cases, a shipper can safely "void" an unused label by using the refund functionality on your EasyPost Dashboard.
Shipping labels created through EasyPost are generally eligible for a refund before the label has been used to ship a package with the carrier. In this guide, we will show you how refunds can be requested on the EasyPost dashboard Shipments Page, but they can also be refunded via the API Shipment Refunds method as documented in our API Documentation.
Refunding/Voiding your Label on your Dashboard:
Follow the steps outlined below in order to refund your shipment.
1. On the Shipments Page, search for the shipment you wish to refund. Shipments can be searched by shipment id, tracking number, or reference. Note that this page can only display shipments within a 30-day window, but you can change the search window using the "Date Range" drop-down calendar feature.
2. When you have found the shipment you wish to refund, click the details drop-down button on the far right-hand side.
3. Click the "Refund" button found on the right-hand side.
USPS refunds can take up to 30 days to be approved for refund. You can check back on the status of your refund by going back to this same Shipments Page, locating the shipment, and looking for the "refund_status" attribute in the shipment details.
Valid refund_status's will be:
- "null" - when a refund has yet to be requested
- "submitted" - You requested a refund and it is still being processed
- "refunded" - refund is completed
- "rejected" - refund was rejected
Note: USPS label refund requests must be made within 30 days of label creation and it can take up to 30 days for a refund to be processed. USPS First Class Letters and Flats are not eligible for a refund.