Trackers are objects created in EasyPost comprised of a carrier (USPS, FedEx, DHL, etc) and a tracking code for the shipment. Trackers are constantly updated during carrier transit to reflect the latest shipment statuses passed through by the carriers. Think of them as your window into the transit activity and health of your shipments.
This article will cover how Trackers are made and how to use this information to optimize your business.
How are Trackers created?
Trackers can be created in two ways. Purchasing a shipment via EasyPost API or the EasyPost Dashboard will automatically create a Tracker. They can also be created separately for shipments generated outside of EasyPost as a standalone service for any shipper that needs quality insights into their shipment transit activity. A separate fee or subscription will be required for this.
How do I review my Tracker data?
Tracker data is available through one of our out-of-the-box reports available for free to all EasyPost customers. This report is the Tracker report and can be generated via API or our EasyPost Dashboard.
How to generate a Tracker report in the EasyPost Dashboard.
- Navigate to the Trackers page on your EasyPost Dashboard.
- Set your desired results using the Date Range (max 32 days) and Status filters.
- If you were a developer using EasyPost's test environment for trackers (uncommon), you may want to also specify your environment as Production or Test. Otherwise, leave Environment as Production.
- Click the REQUEST CSV button on the upper right of the screen
- You may select which columns to include/exclude from your final report using the modal.
- Specify if you would like the file sent via email using the Send Email checkbox (optional)
- EXPORT your file to execute the request. The file will automatically be downloaded to your device, as well as sent via email (if selected).
The options are endless for how you can apply this data to your business decisioning but here are some common examples of what this report can do for you:
- Identify packages lost in transit, returned to sender, stuck in customs
- Evaluate carrier transit performance
- Evaluate average transit times by carrier and service level.
NOTE: EasyPost will attempt to find the 'best fit' carrier if a tracker is created through a standalone service (not as part of an EasyPost shipping label) and using only a tracking code. However, it is best practice to always supply EastPost with both the carrier and the code to ensure the correct shipment can be identified.
How to view reports that were generated in the past
To access a Shipment Invoice report for adjustments (or any other report type at EasyPost) that was generated in the past you can:
- Navigate to the Reports page in the Dashboard
- Set the Object Type filter to your desired report type (Shipments Invoices, Payment Logs, etc)
- A table will display with a list of the previously generated reports, when they were created and the date range they have data for. You may redownload the files with the Download button.