At this time, this is a invite-only beta endpoint. If you would like to consume this API, please speak with your customer service representative.
Beta customers, please be aware there is a small chance field names, validations, or functionality may change prior to production release.
The US Customs and Border Protection (hereafter, "USCBP") has mandated that certain shipment characteristics must be reported electronically to it prior to the shipment departing the US. The full list of rules is specified in 15 CFR § 30.2, but the most common requirements include:
- Items under the same Schedule B or harmonized tariff number, valued at more than USD2500 and are sent from the same exporter to the same recipient on the same day
- Items considered rough diamonds (classified under harmonized tariff schedule 7102.10, 7102.21 and 7102.31.)
- Items requiring an U.S. government export license or permit
- Items subject to the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), commodity, end user, or destination requirements listed in the U.S. Foreign Trade Regulations.
Export shipments, for EEI purposes, are defined as those:
- From the U.S., Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands to foreign destinations
- Between the U.S. and Puerto Rico
- From the U.S. or Puerto Rico to the U.S. Virgin Islands.
In most cases, you do NOT need to file if :
- All merchandise under a particular HTS (or Schedule B classification) is less than USD2500. For example, a $3000 shipment consisting of three items each with a distinct HTS and worth $1000 each.
- The shipment is from the U.S. to Canada WITH NOTHING REQUIRING AN EXPORT LICENSE
- From the U.S. or Puerto Rico to other U.S. territories (American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, etc).
- From the U.S. Virgin Islands to the U.S., U.S. territories, or Puerto Rico.
A full list of exclusions is available in 15 CFR 30.36 and 30.37
Easypost is a Certified Vendor that allows you to file with the US Government through our API.
Documentation for the API Usage has moved to our Easypost Enterprise Wiki: